Wild Coast Horse Trails - Ride a horse on the beach...
Are you on holiday in Kei Mouth & Morgan Bay and want to do something that the whole family can do together? We are ideally placed for a day out from East London or one of the Wild Coast Jikeleza Route resorts. If you are staying at Trennery's or Seagulls Hotels we are just over the Kei River.
Come on a short horse ride on the beach with Wild Coast Horse Trails.
Our horse paddocks are situated above the golf course at the Kei Mouth Country Club. This is our base from where we start our overnight beach trails and offer short day rides for local holiday makers. It is perfectly positioned between Morgan Bay and Kei Mouth, and is a convenient day trip for guest staying at Trennery's Hotel & Sea Gulls Hotel across the Kei River.
For a few days riding, stay over night at Kei Mouth Guest Lodge & Backpackers
Wild Coast Horseback Adventures Horse Riding in and around Kei Mouth and Morgan Bay on the Transkei Wild Coast of South Africa
Kei Mouth Beach RideA lovely 1 and a half hour ride suitable for the whole family.
This is our beginners ride and children on lead rein are catered for.
(please book 1 day in advance)
9.30 am and 3 pm
R300.00 per person
Morgan Bay Cliff Top Beach RideThis is a 2.5 hour more advanced ride that suits riders who want to do a bit more than just a walk and they should be comfortable in trot & canter.
The views from the top of the cliff are stunning, you really feel like you are on the edge of the world!
(please book 1 day in advance)
R500.00 per person
Full Day Beach Ride across the Kei RiverThis beach ride is for riders comfortable on horseback. (You can trot & canter).
Trennery's Pub Lunch
Your trail starts with crossing the Great Kei River on the ferry, and then lovely canters along the beach take you to Trennery's Hotel for a great pub lunch. The trek home is across country, meandering over the rolling hills and through the villages.
Once over the Kei River on the ferry, you head inland to a local waterfall - its beautiful and you can swim - bring your own picnic - the route back to Kei takes you along the beach.
Departure time depends on the tide and will be confirmed when booking, normally starting around 9.30 am returning about 4.30 pm
R750.00 per person (excludes ferry fee & lunch)
Would you like to make it a weekend of riding?
Stay with us at Kei Mouth Backpackers, our very own guest house in Kei Mouth that offers a selection of first class backpacker & bed n breakfast accommodation .
Game Viewing on Horseback
We have horses based at Miarestate Hotel & Spa in Haga Haga and offer two riding options through the game reserve.
The beginners ride is just over one hour and is a comfortable loop where you will hopefully meander past non dangerous game such Giraffe, Zebra, Wildebeest and different antelope.
The Advanced/Intermediate/Novice ride, is 2 to 3 hours, riders need to be comfortable in the saddle and be able to trot, canter and ride independently on a well trained horse.
Riders are encouraged to go for lunch at the hotel and enjoy the 5 star experience, or even stay over night!
Click to find more information about staying at Miarestate
Your riding ability
- Never Ridden = someone who has never ridden a horse, or have only done so once or twice on holiday.
- Beginner rider = someone who is comfortable in the saddle & can stay on a reliable well school horse. They can post to the trot (go up and down) and may have cantered a few times = Beginners generally ride once or twice a year on holiday with their partner!
- Novice rider = someone who is comfortable in the saddle & enjoys a reliable well schooled horse. They generally ride at a riding school once or twice a month, or like to ride a friend’s horse on the farm. They can trot comfortably and enjoy a nice controlled canter.
- Intermediate rider = someone who rides regularly and enjoys a forward going well schooled horse. They may or may not be a little nervous for the first little bit while they get to know their horse. They can control their horse independently and is confident trotting and in controlled canters.
- Advanced Rider = someone who is comfortable on most horses in most situations. They ride regularly and may or may not have their own horse. They have a good seat and gentle hands. They can ride in light seat, and can hold a strong horse in a fast canter.
- Please book your ride at least one day in advance.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- We are closed on the 25th Dec & 1st Jan every year.
- All rides are subject to local weather and sea tides.
- Please wear comfortable long pants and shoes that stay on (trainers are fine)
- ALL children under 18 years are required to wear a protective riding hat and a parent or guardian must sign the indemnity form and recreational release.
- MASTER & VISA CREDIT CARD ACCEPTED