Working Riding Holidays
A hands on, get involved, equestrian experience with horses...
Eat, sleep and ride horses on our action filled, working, riding adventure
Do you want to escape for a while and experience the joy of riding horses daily? Would you love to be with horses all day and have lots of fun assisting in the care of top class trail horses? Have you dreamed of riding along expansive beaches and blowing all your cares away? Does learning about the day-to -day care of equine friends and making new human friends appeal to you?
Our work rider program is the perfect adventure for you!
A HORSE RIDING EXPERIENCE IN SOUTH AFRICA, WHERE HORSES ARE A WAY OF LIFE...
At Wild Coast Horse Riding Adventures we offer a unique opportunity for horse lovers to truly experience the joy of working with and riding horses day after day along the stunning Wild Coast of South Africa. Join us for 4 or more weeks on our hands on, get involved horse riding experience.
As a horse lover it will exceed all your expectations.
Bring along your spirit of adventure and a love of great outdoors and escape to our horse filled life in South Africa. Our horses are much loved; they are a mixture of Arab, Boerperd, Thoroughbred and Percheron crosses that are perfect for trail riding. You will be delighted by how gentle, well trained and friendly they are! The trail team is kept endurance fit to be able to complete our adventure trails along the coast, while our younger horses are brought on carefully with ground work and schooling. While you are with us, you become part of our family and are made to feel welcome in our relaxed and comfortable guest lodge.
Gap year, career break, and backpacking travellers should make our working riding holiday a highlight of their South African tour.
The inter-connection between horses and people's is an integral part of our beliefs, our environment and the way that we work with the horses and our visiting riders. Therefore our horsemanship is geared towards gentle interaction and communication with our equine friends. The horses work hard, and we expect the best from them. It is our responsibility to ensure that they live in the most comfortable and natural way possible to enable them to do their job to the very best of their abilities. As our guest you become part of our equine philosophy.
You get to participate in and be part of the following experiences…
- Daily brushing & feeding of the horses
- Grooming, bathing and general care of the horses
- Cleaning tack and equipment
- Introduction to barefoot trimming, riding and management
- Introduction to endurance style riding and training
- Our horses all live out, so there are no stables to muck out, but you will be asked to help tidy up!
- An introduction to ground work
- Exercising & schooling horses
- Assisting on out rides and trails in Kei Mouth & Morgan Bay
A normal day is from to with an hour for lunch. You spend time caring, working, schooling and exercising horses at the beach paddocks in Kei Mouth. However, animals and holidaymakers do not always keep time, so we may occasionally start a little earlier or finish a little later.
The point of you being with us is to do lots of riding, learn, help out and have fun! It is up to you to take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to you. The more you participate, the more you will learn and the more you will take home with you.
Riding with Touch workshop
On custom dates each month we host a “Riding with Touch Workshop” run by Klara Webb. This is an introduction to Ride with Your Mind and TTouch methodologies.
Accommodation & Meals
The package includes accommodation, breakfast and week night dinners.
Breakfast is at 7.30 and consists of fruit, yogurt, cereals, toast & preserves.
We provide work riders with delicious home cooked dinners during the week (Monday to Thursday nights).
Over the weekends, people are free to self-cater in our communal kitchen or go out and socialise. Friday night is often a night out and everyone goes for a meal or a fun evening at a local pub. Saturday afternoons and Sundays are chilled with exploring the area, relaxing at the beach or maybe resting in the garden. Often there are BBQ's, pizza nights & local hospitality to be enjoyed with the friendly residents of Kei. We encourage our riders to work and play together, share the adventure and maybe their their culinary talents!
The local supermarket is around the corner from the house. It is well stocked with all the fresh produce and groceries that you may need.
There is a pub and cafe within walking distance.
Comfortable shared accommodation is provided in our dorm or you can pay a single room supplement.Please go to Kei Mouth Guest Lodge for more information about the accommodation and what to expect.
Dates and Availability
Our Work rider program package is available from mid Jan to mid December each year and has a minimum stay of 4 weeksWorking Riding Holiday
- 4 weeks or longer (flexible)
- riders should be able to ride at an intermediate level, have a good foundation in flat work schooling and be able to ride and work a horse in the correct outline.
- daily interaction with the horses, out-rides, day rides, beach rides, & basic riding lessons
- 2 night trail to Wavecrest
- Riding with Touch Workshop
Internship Work Exchange Program
- Minimum stay 12 weeks
- Strict application and selection process for experienced riders only!
- Over 21 years old, drivers licence & first aid certificate mandatory!
You need to complete the booking form and return it to us, book your flights and send a deposit to confirm your place - and that's it - you're booked!
Rates and Package Details
The following is included in your riding package.
- Daily horse riding including schooling the trails horses, informal riding lessons, out rides and trails
- Riding at the beach in Kei Mouth & Morgan Bay.
- Full day rides into the Transkei
- Free breakfast & WiFi
- Home cooked dinners Mon-Thurs
- Accommodation & laundry
- If everything is done and there are no rides booked, there is lots of free time for the beach, exploring our wonderful countryside, socialising and generally having a good time!
- You can add in an overnight trail while with us - this is charged separately.