Working Riding Holiday
A hands on, get involved, equestrian vacation with horses...
Eat, sleep and breathe horses on our action filled riding holiday
Do you want to escape for a while and experience the joy of riding horses daily?
Would you love to be with horses all day and have lots of fun assisting in the care of top class trail horses?
Have you dreamed of riding along expansive beaches and through game reserves in search of wild animals?
Would you like to be involved and learn about the day to day care of our equine friends and make new human friends too?
Then our working riding holiday is the perfect adventure for you!
A HORSE RIDING HOLIDAY IN SOUTH AFRICA, WHERE HORSES ARE A WAY OF LIFE...
At Wild Coast Horseback Adventures we offer a unique opportunity for all horse lovers to truly experience the joy of working with and riding horses day after day along the stunning Wild Coast of South Africa.
Join us for 2, 3, 4 or 6 weeks on our hands on, get involved horse riding holiday
As a horse lover this holiday will exceed all your expectations. We cater for all levels of riders, however, no extensive horse experience is necessary as we will teach you all you need to know!
Bring along your spirit of adventure and a love of great outdoors and escape to our horse filled life in South Africa.
Our horses are much loved; they are a mixture of Arab, Boerperd, Thoroughbred and Percheron crosses that are perfect for trail riding. You will be delighted by how gentle, well trained and friendly they are! The trail team is kept endurance fit to be able to complete our adventure trails along the coast, while our younger horses are brought on carefully with ground work and schooling.
While you are with us, you become part of our family and are made to feel welcome in our relaxed and comfortable backpackers lodge.
Career break, Gap Year, and backpacking travelers should make our working riding holiday a highlight of their South African tour.
The inter-connection between horses and people's is an integral part of our beliefs, our environment and the way that we work with the horses and our visiting riders. Therefore our horsemanship is geared towards gentle interaction and communication with our equine friends. The horses work hard, and we expect the best from them. It is our responsibility to ensure that they live in the most comfortable and natural way possible to enable them to do their job to the very best of their abilities. As our guest you become part of our equine philosophy.
You get to participate in and be part of the following experiences…
- Helping with daily brushing & feeding.
- Grooming, bathing and general care of the horses
- Cleaning tack and equipment
- Introduction to barefoot trimming, riding and management.
- Introduction to Endurance riding and training.
- Our horses all live out, so there are no stables to muck out, but you will be asked to help tidy up!
- Round pen work – including an introduction to ground work.
- Exercise & school horses.
- Exercise the horses and riding with game at Miarestate.
- Swimming with horses!
- Assisting on out rides and trails in Kei Mouth & Morgan Bay
- Informal riding lessons available for beginners and to boost general confidence and riding.
A normal day is from to with an hour for lunch. You spend time caring, working, schooling and exercising horses at the beach paddocks in Kei Mouth or at the game reserve where we keep 12 horses. However, animals and holidaymakers do not keep time, so we may occasionally start a little earlier and finish a little later.
The point of you being with us is to do lots of riding, learn, help out and have fun! It is up to you to take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to you. The more you participate, the more you will learn and the more you will take home with you.
Riding with Touch workshop
On custom dates each month we host a “Riding with Touch Workshop” run by Klara Web. This is an introduction to Ride with you mind and T Touch methodologies.
Accommodation & Meals
The package includes accommodation, breakfast and week night dinners.
Breakfast is at 7.30 and consists of fruit, yogurt, cereals, toast & preserve.
We provide work riders with a delicious home cooked dinner during the week. (Monday to Thursday nights)
Over the weekends, Friday night is a night out and everyone goes for a meal and a fun evening.
Most Saturdays and Sundays are filled with social BBQ's & Pizza nights & local hospitality. Other meals are self catering in the communal kitchen. We encourage our riders to work together, share and explore their culinary talents!
The local supermarket is around the corner from the house. It is well stocked with all the fresh produce and groceries that you may need.
There are several restaurants & pubs within walking distance.
Comfortable shared accommodation is provided in our backpackers dorms or private rooms. There are different sleeping option to choose from.
- 5 sleeper dorm (pay per bed)(en suite bathroom)
- 1 or 2 sleeper private double bedded room (en suite bathroom)
- 1 to 4 sleeper dorm or can be booked as a private room (en suite bathroom)
Dates and Availability
Our Working riding holiday package is available from mid Jan to mid December each year and has the following options.
- 2 weeks(14 nights)
- 3 weeks(21 nights)
- 4 weeks(28 nights)
- 6 to 12 weeks (flexible)
You need to complete the booking form and return it to us, book your flights and send a deposit to confirm your place - and that's it - you're booked!
Rates and Package Details
The following is included in your holiday package.
- Daily horse riding including informal riding lessons, out rides and trails.
- Riding at the beach in Kei Mouth & Morgan Bay.
- Full Day Rides into the Transkei
- Free breakfast & wi fi
- Home cooked dinners Mon-Thurs
- Dinner on arrival night if it falls over the weekend.
- Accommodation & laundry
- Transfers from the house to the horse riding facility in Kei Mouth & at Miarestate.
- If everything is done and there are no rides booked, there is lots of free time for the beach, game viewing, exploring our wonderful country and generally having a good time!
- You can add in an overnight trail while with us - this is charged separately to your working riding holiday package