Work Rider program
A hands on, get involved, equestrian experience with horses...
Eat, sleep and ride horses on our action filled riding adventure
Do you want to escape for a while and experience the joy of riding horses daily?
Would you love to be with horses all day and have lots of fun assisting in the care of top class trail horses?
Have you dreamed of riding along expansive beaches and blowing all your cares away?
Would you like to be involved and learn about the day to day care of our equine friends and make new human friends too?
Then our work rider program is the perfect adventure for you!
A HORSE RIDING experience IN SOUTH AFRICA, WHERE HORSES ARE A WAY OF LIFE...
At Wild Coast Horse Riding Adventures we offer a unique opportunity for horse lovers to truly experience the joy of working with and riding horses day after day along the stunning Wild Coast of South Africa.
Join us for 4 or more weeks on our hands on, get involved horse riding experience.
As a horse lover it will exceed all your expectations.
Bring along your spirit of adventure and a love of great outdoors and escape to our horse filled life in South Africa.
Our horses are much loved; they are a mixture of Arab, Boerperd, Thoroughbred and Percheron crosses that are perfect for trail riding. You will be delighted by how gentle, well trained and friendly they are! The trail team is kept endurance fit to be able to complete our adventure trails along the coast, while our younger horses are brought on carefully with ground work and schooling.
While you are with us, you become part of our family and are made to feel welcome in our relaxed and comfortable guest lodge.
Career break, Gap Year, and backpacking travelers should make our working riding holiday a highlight of their South African tour.
The inter-connection between horses and people's is an integral part of our beliefs, our environment and the way that we work with the horses and our visiting riders. Therefore our horsemanship is geared towards gentle interaction and communication with our equine friends. The horses work hard, and we expect the best from them. It is our responsibility to ensure that they live in the most comfortable and natural way possible to enable them to do their job to the very best of their abilities. As our guest you become part of our equine philosophy.
You get to participate in and be part of the following experiences…
- Daily brushing & feeding of the horses.
- Grooming, bathing and general care of the horses
- Cleaning tack and equipment
- Introduction to barefoot trimming, riding and management.
- Introduction to Endurance riding and training.
- Our horses all live out, so there are no stables to muck out, but you will be asked to help tidy up!
- Round pen work – including an introduction to ground work.
- Exercise & school horses.
- Assisting on out rides and trails in Kei Mouth & Morgan Bay
A normal day is from to with an hour for lunch. You spend time caring, working, schooling and exercising horses at the beach paddocks in Kei Mouth. However, animals and holidaymakers do not keep time, so we may occasionally start a little earlier and finish a little later.
The point of you being with us is to do lots of riding, learn, help out and have fun! It is up to you to take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to you. The more you participate, the more you will learn and the more you will take home with you.
Riding with Touch workshop
On custom dates each month we host a “Riding with Touch Workshop” run by Klara Web. This is an introduction to Ride with you mind and T Touch methodologies.
Accommodation & Meals
The package includes accommodation, breakfast and week night dinners.
Breakfast is at 7.30 and consists of fruit, yogurt, cereals, toast & preserve.
We provide work riders with a delicious home cooked dinner during the week. (Monday to Thursday nights)
Over the weekends, Friday night is a night out and everyone goes for a meal and a fun evening.
Most Saturdays and Sundays are filled with social BBQ's & Pizza nights & local hospitality. Other meals are self catering in the communal kitchen. We encourage our riders to work together, share and explore their culinary talents!
The local supermarket is around the corner from the house. It is well stocked with all the fresh produce and groceries that you may need.
There are several restaurants & pubs within walking distance.
Comfortable shared accommodation is provided in our backpackers dorms or private rooms.Please go to Kei Mouth Guest Lodge for more information about the accommodation and what to expect.
Dates and Availability
Our Work rider program package is available from mid Jan to mid December each year and has a minimum stay of 4 weeks
- 4 to 12 weeks (flexible)
- Riders should have a good foundation in flat work schooling and be able to ride and work a horse in the correct outline.
- 14 nights 15 days Kei River Riding Holiday includes daily interaction with the horses, out rides, day rides, beach rides, & basic riding lessons, a 2 night trail to Wavecrest & a Riding with Touch Work Shop, is the perfect option for those who want to have the hands on experience over a shorter period.
You need to complete the booking form and return it to us, book your flights and send a deposit to confirm your place - and that's it - you're booked!
Rates and Package Details
The following is included in your riding package.
- Daily horse riding including schooling the trails horses and informal riding lessons, out rides and trails.
- Riding at the beach in Kei Mouth & Morgan Bay.
- Full Day Rides into the Transkei
- Free breakfast & wi fi
- Home cooked dinners Mon-Thurs
- Accommodation & laundry
- Transfers from the house to the horse riding facility in Kei Mouth
- If everything is done and there are no rides booked, there is lots of free time for the beach, game viewing, exploring our wonderful country and generally having a good time!
- You can add in an overnight trail while with us - this is charged separately.